About Olympic Harriers
Olympic Harriers is a running and walking club based at Waiora Hub, the community and sports centre in Johnsonville, in the northern suburbs of Wellington. We cater for all levels of the sport, from social running and walking through to competitive harriers (cross country and road) and athletics (track and field). With our strong emphasis on families, we cater for all ages from the five year old juniors through to seniors and masters. In summer we have one of Wellington’s strongest children’s athletics groups for primary and intermediate school-aged kids. We have also developed a strong junior middle distance and cross country programme for year 5 through to college age.
Some people in the sport are competitive, and compete at the regional, national or international level. Children may want to improve their running, jumping and throwing skills; others may want to get fit for other sports. For the adults, it’s often about getting fit and having someone to walk or run with, to improve 5km fun run times or half marathon times. Others want support in achieving a full marathon, or improve their running for multisport.
We have a strong tradition of cross-country, having won the top club award at the North Island Cross Country Champs ten times since 2009 (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022). We have regularly won the Wellington Junior Interclub championship for Children's Athletics.
Whatever you want to achieve, Olympic can help. Running — the sport where you set the fitness level you and and you set your fitness level.
What we do
Our main season is the cross country and road (harriers) season, which runs over winter from April to October, primarily on Saturday afternoons. During this time we follow our own syllabus that consists of club runs, club races and inter-club races (see the calendar). We have activities for all ages including masters, seniors and juniors.
During the track and field (athletics) season (October to March) we participate in the Athletics Wellington syllabus, or if that’s not your thing we have summer club runs each week. Children aged from 5 to 14 can participate in our children’s athletics programme or can continue with cross country training.
We have training and coaching sessions during the week. Our full list of activities is:
- Club runs (aka "pack runs"): during the harrier season (winter), we have club runs/walks from the clubrooms on the weeks we don’t have races. We have a number of different packs that cater for different speeds, walkers, women and juniors. We have activities for kids down to five years old.
- We run in all weather and many of our runs are in the hills around Johnsonville. Be prepared and bring a thermal top, windbreaker, hat and gloves if the weather is bad.
- In summer we have a club run every weekend, alternating between the clubrooms and members’ places. Keep your eye on the calendar.
- Races: Your membership allows you to compete in both our winter season programme (cross country and road races) and our summer season programme (the Athletics Wellington track and field programme, based at Newtown Park, for those age 14 and up). See races and the calendar.
- Children’s athletics: In summer, children from age 5 to 14 can participate in our children’s athletics programme to help develop their running, jumping and throwing skills. See our Olympic Juniors website. (In winter, children participate in the club’s winter programme. Some also choose to continue with cross country training throughout the year.)
- Training: see our coaching page.
- Core strength training: Having weak core body muscles is a major cause of injuries in running. We organise blocks of six-week courses continuously through the year, run by our qualified exercise trainer. See our coaching page for details.
- Club trips: We have two “official” club trips each year: one to the North Island Cross Country Champs in Taupo at the beginning of July, and another to the National Road Relay Champs at the beginning of October (venue varies). Both trips are subsidised by the club.
- Unofficial club trips: We frequently organise other trips to “fun run” events – in the past this has included the Molesworth Run, the round-Taupo relay (Great Lake Relay), the Round Rarotonga Road Race, and the New York Marathon.
- Social activities: these are held at various times through the year.
Last updated: 28 Oct 2023