Athletics Wellington has published its selection criteria for being chosen to represent Wellington at national events.
If you intend to race any of the following events:
- North Island Secondary Schools XC Relays: 17th June
- North Island XC Champs (Taupo Trip): 7th July
- National XC Champs (Granada North, Wellington): 5th August
- National Road Champs (Cambridge): 2nd September
...then please read the Athletics Wellington policy on selection to represent Wellington.
To be considered for selection, you must register an expression of interest before the cutoff dates specified in the policy.
It's not as tough as you may think – you may be considered for selection if you finish in the top half of your grade. It would be great to see Olympic Harrier athletes representing Wellington, so please consider registering.
At recent meetings, Athletics Wellington decided to make some changes to the masters grades for 2018:
- Masters age will be 35 for all Wellington interclub events
- There will be some changes to how team results are determined:
- The will be an Open Team instead of a Senior Team
- A club’s Open Team will be determined by the order athletes cross the finish line, regardless of whether they are a Senior or a Master
- A Master can count in both the Open and Masters Teams races
- Athletes will only be eligible for individual medals in the grade their age puts them in (ie Seniors, Masters 35, Masters 50 etc)
- As per prior years, an athlete may elect to compete in a different grade (eg a Masters competing in Seniors, a Junior competing in Seniors) by giving notice prior to the race. In this case, a Master electing to compete as a Senior won’t then count for a Masters team and Masters medals but will be eligible for Senior individual medals.
Notice is hereby given that a Special General Meeting of the Olympic Harrier & Athletic Club Incorporated will be held at the Olympic club rooms, Alex Moore Park, Bannister Avenue, Johnsonville on Tuesday, March 13 at 7:30pm.
The object of the meeting is to:
Seek to ratify the committee’s recommendation to increase club subscriptions. This is to reflect the increase in the Athletic New Zealand levies introduced for the 2018/19 season.
It is with great regret we announce Juan McDonald has stepped down as Club President due to work commitments.
We thank Juan for all his hard work, hours, energy and enthusiasm over 7-8 years as Club Captain and 2 years as Club President. Juan will still be involved with the Club / kids training.
The Committee has asked Club Women’s Captain Michelle Van Looy to take up the position as Acting President. We are pleased to announce Michelle has accepted this appointment. Congratulations!
Pack run/walk, Alex Moore Clubrooms, 14 October 1:45
The wet weather of the week must surely be about to give way to some sunny skies so we can enjoy a jaunt out and about with other club members. See the info a bit further down on the Master's 10km race on Sunday in Lower Hutt. Next week is the inaugural Bernie Portenski Handicap Memorial, hosted by Scottish at St Timothy's Church in Titahi Bay, http://www.olympicharriers.nz/calendar/event.php?id=2981
Celebration time! Annual Prize-giving – clubrooms, 7pm Wed 18 October
Something a little different this year -- we are having the prizegiving on a week night rather than tie up a whole Saturday afternoon for people with busy lives. Hope to see you all there with wheelbarrows to take away the trophies.
The whole summer programme has been laid out for you in our new summer syllabus. Print out the document on our website http://www.olympicharriers.nz/resources/AthleticsSyllabus_1718.pdf and put it on the fridge to know when all the athletics meets are and what is coming up on Saturday. Thanks Trent for making it look so flash!
Summer Tuesday training now at 6:30pm
With the longer evenings the Tuesday night trainings with Chris Speakman have moved back a tad to start at 6:30pm. A perfect way to sharpen up for the summer athletics season or if you are looking further out to hit the ground running for next Harrier season.
Masters 10k road race, 15 October, Lower Hutt
A flat 10km from the Hutt Valley Marathon Clinic's function room at Huia Indoor Swimming Pool. Showers are available and light refreshments are offered post-race - both free of charge. Walkers 9.15am – Runners 9.45am, meet at southern end of riverside carpark, adjacent to Daly Street in Lower Hutt.
Junior Club Night Coaches - Run Jump Throw Courses
Run Jump Throw is the Athletics NZ programme for teaching children athletics. The programme has been revamped for 2017 so this course will focus on the principles of the programme and how to deliver it on club nights. An essential for club night coaches. If you're able to help on club nights, or have coached on club nights previously, then one of the courses listed below are definitely worth attending - you'll get heaps out of it. For more details on the Athletics NZ Run Jump Throw programme check out their website by clicking here
- Sunday 15 October: Hutt Recreation Ground, Lower Hutt from 12pm to 2pm run by Simon England
- Saturday 21 October: Newtown Park, Wellington from 3pm to 5.30pm run by Mark and Andrea Harris
- Tuesday 24 October: Adventure Park, Discovery Drive, Whitby in the evening from 5pm to 7.30pm run by Mark Harris.
To register to attend either of these Run Jump Throw courses please email email@example.com or 021 976116
Sat 21 October: Bernie Portenski race, Titahi Bay, http://www.olympicharriers.nz/calendar/event.php?id=2981
Sat 28 October: Clubrooms for a pack run
Sundays 8:00'ish A group of keen runners go for a longer run, usually around 5 min/km pace.
Watch https://www.facebook.com/groups/797068523644426/ where they co-ordinate locations and transport etc
There are a couple of active Facebook pages associated with the club. If memory serves you need to be accepted to get access but that is not a big hassle. A variety of semi organised runs at different levels, encouragement for summer track athletes, and celebrations of current (and some past) performances all turn up regularly.
-- https://www.facebook.com/olympicharriers/ Lots of results and chats here!
-- https://www.facebook.com/groups/797068523644426/ This is the Womens (and Mens) group a bit cryptic, but quite active.
Unsubscribe or change your settings at http://mail.olympicharriers.org.nz:8080/mlss?ListName=olympic
Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'unsubscribe olympic' in the body. If you need help please email email@example.com.