Our main season runs from April to October, when we meet every Saturday afternoon. We have races on average every second week – these may be either club races (Olympic-only) or inter-club (against other clubs in Wellington). These races are held all around Wellington. On non-race weekends we have club runs from our clubrooms, when we go out for a run in a group (or pack) with others of similar abilities. We cater for all ages, from juniors age 5 and up, to seniors and masters.
We also have club runs and participate in athletics over summer, and have training and coaching sessions during the week. Our full list of activities are:
- Club runs: during the harrier season (winter), we have club runs from the clubrooms on the weeks we don’t have races.
- Packs: We have a number of packs (running groups) to cater for different speeds, walkers, women and juniors. We have activities for kids down to five years old.
- Clothing: We run in all weather and many of our runs are in the hills around Johnsonville. Be prepared and bring a thermal top, windbreaker, hat and gloves if the weather is bad.
- Summer: we have a club run every weekend, alternating between the clubrooms and members’ places. Keep your eye on the calendar.
- Races: Your membership allows you to compete in both our winter season programme (cross country and road races) and our summer season programme (the Athletics Wellington track and field programme, based at Newtown Park, for those age 14 and up). See races and the calendar.
- Children’s athletics: In summer, children from age 5 to 14 can participate in our children’s athletics programme to help develop their running, jumping and throwing skills. See our Olympic Juniors website. (In winter, children participate in the club’s winter programme.)
- Sunday long runs: Join our 8am clubrooms pack for 90 to 120 minute long runs. Or our roving pack that runs from a different venue each week. Ask around at the clubrooms for details.
- Training: see our coaching page.
- Core strength training: Having weak core body muscles is a major cause of injuries in running. We organise blocks of six-week courses continuously through the year, run by our qualified exercise trainer. Watch out for the notices, or contact Malcolm for details.
- Club trips: We have two “official” club trips each year: one to the North Island Cross Country Champs in Taupo at the beginning of July, and another to the National Road Relay Champs at the beginning of October (venue varies). Both trips are subsidised by the club.
- Unofficial club trips: We frequently organise other trips to “fun run” events – in the past this has included the Molesworth Run, the round-Taupo relay (Great Lake Relay), the Round Rarotonga Road Race, and the New York Marathon.
- Social activities: these are held at various times through the year.
Last updated: 2 Dec 2015