Events and races from the club syllabus, the Wellington region, and further afield.
Athletics Wellington Road Championships, incorporating Olympic Harriers Club Road Championships.
The road course is the same as 2017 - based on a 2.5km loop, with a short 1km loop for the young grades. The 10km course is 4 laps with 7 turns. The 5km course is 2 laps with 3 turns.
Parking: There is parking either at the course, down by the clubrooms at Richard Prouse Park or at the end of Hine Road.
Refreshments: Barbecue, hot drinks, cold drinks, and muffins will be for sale at the tent area by the start/finish line.
Toilet Facilities: There will be 4 portaloos on site. There are also toilets situated next to the clubrooms at Richard Prouse Park.
Age Grades: For all grades, except Masters, ages are at 31st December 2018. For Masters’ grades, ages are age on the day.
- U20 = will be 18 or 19 at end of this year.
- U18 = will be 15, 16 or 17 at end of this year.
- U15 = will be 13 or 14 at end of this year.
- U13 = will be 11 or 12 at end of this year.
- U11 = will be 9 or 10 at end of this year.
- U9 = will be 8 or younger at year end.
Masters grades are M35 (changed from 2017), W35, M50, W50, M60, W60.
Championship Events for Masters and Seniors:
- 10km Championship distance: SW, MW35-49, SM, MM35-49, MM50-59.
- 5km Championship distance: MW50-59, MW60-69, MW70+, MM60-69 MM70+
Any Senior or Master runner who wishes to enter a distance other than their championship distance must email email@example.com by Thursday 16 August, 5:00pm. Please send the following details; Name, Club, Race Bib
Number, Grade and Distance you are running, 5km or 10km. If you are a masters runner and wish to run in a “higher” championship grade (eg. a master wishing to enter the senior race, or a W50 wishing to enter the W35
10km race), please also let Daryl know this.
Teams and Medals:
- Open and Masters championship grades: 6 to count for Open Men. 4 to count for all other grades. Masters can count for both their club’s Masters and Open teams.
- Junior Grades: 3 to count for all junior age grades, WU20 and WU18 to be combined.
- Centre medals will be awarded for the first 3 registered Wellington Centre athletes in each grade.
- Medals will be given out as soon as provisional results become available. Note final results might not be available on the day of the event. Season medals for each championship grade will also be given out as the results become available.
Race times and distances:
- Race 1: 1:00pm : Girls U9, Boys U9 (1km - 1 loop of 1km)
- Race 2: 1:15pm: Girls U11, Boys U11 (2km - 2 loops of 1km)
- Race 3: 1:30pm: Junior Men U20 (7.5km - 3 loops of 2.5km); M60, W50, junior women U20, youth men U18, youth women U18, men 20-59 non-championship, women 20-49 non-championship (5km - 2 loops of 2.5km)
- Race 4: 2:10pm: Girls U13, Boys U13 (2.5km - 1 loop of 2.5km)
- Race 5: 2:30pm: Girls U15, Boys U15 (2.5km - 1 loop of 2.5km)
- Race 6: 2:50pm: SM, SW, M35 , W35, M50, W50 non-champ, M60 non-champ (10km - 4 laps of 2.5km)
- 10.30am: Walkers - the Great Bays Relay Turkey Trot; 5km (NB first lap of relay course (+224m) only). Report to caravan at start by 10am to enter and to estimate time.
- 12.30pm: Women under 20, Senior women, Masters Women (35+), Masters Men 60+
- 1:00pm: Men under 20, senior men, masters men (35+), masters men (50+)
- 3:30pm: Prizegiving at WHAC clubrooms
Change over points:
Start at Island Bay
(1) Near the end of the sea wall at Lyall Bay opposite Kingsford Smith Street – 4.776 km
(2) Just past the bus stop at Eve Bay (before the Pass of Branda) – 4.649 km
(3) On the concrete path between grass and sand near the changing rooms at Scorching Bay – 4.804 km
(4) Shelly Bay, by the former gates at the southern end of the old air force base – 3.845 km
Finish at Evans Bay Parade / Cobham Drive intersection – 3.978 km
(Relay distance 22.052 km; lap distances re-measured 2014)
(a) Competitors must run on the footpath on the seaward side of the road where it is available, except where directed to run elsewhere by the Race Marshals. If no footpath is available, competitors must run within ONE METRE of the right hand edge of the sealed surface of the roadway. Competitors and supporters must obey the directions of the Race Referee, Race Marshals, and Police Officers at all times. Roads will not be closed, be aware of moving traffic at all times.
(b) UNIFORM Club uniform must be worn. The race number provided for each team is to be worn on the front of the runner’s uniform, and it must be clearly visible and unaltered.
(c) MINIMUM AGE RESTRICTION For safety reasons, ALL competitors MUST be at least 14 years of age on the day of the race.
(d) REPLACEMENT In the event of a runner being unable to complete a lap, that runner may be replaced by another member of the team. However, any team making a substitution during the race will not be eligible to claim any team award or placing. All such substitutions must be notified in writing to the Officials at the Finish of the Lap. Any runner replaced during the event for being unable to complete his / her lap, may not run in a subsequent lap for any team.
(e) INFRINGEMENTS Teams can expect DISQUALIFICATION for a major infringement of the race rules. Teams WILL AUTOMATICALLY receive a TWO MINUTE PENALTY added to the overall team time for an infringement of Race Rule (a) SAFETY. Persistent infringement of Race Rule (a) SAFETY will be deemed a major infringement and result in disqualification. A warning may not be given for infringement of rules.
(f) PROTESTS AND APPEALS IAAF Competition Rules 146 covers protests and appeals. Any protest must be made to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the finish of the race. Any appeal must be made to the Race Director.
(g) NOTICE TO SPECTATORS The road is very narrow for most of the course. If following the relay in your car, please keep well to the left and do not delay following traffic. Do not stop on bends or other spots likely to cause traffic congestion. You must park well away from all changeover points. Take Care At All Times.
Club uniform (Olympic singlet and black shorts) must be worn.
Olympic are hosting the NZ Cross Country Champs - one of the biggest cross country running event in the country. This is sure to attract some incredible runners, and will give us a chance to compete alongside the country's best.
All club members are encouraged to assist with setting up the course and / or event marshalling / support duties as their race time permits. We will be running a BBQ and baking stall to try to bring some money in for the club.
Club cross country champs. Races for all ages from juniors through to masters.
We are returning to where club champs were held back in the day. The course will be different from the Grand Memorial, based around 1.8 km loops that will include a bit of a hill and fewer streams. The kids run a reduced 1km lap as we take the hill out for them. There is a trophy in each age group for both the winner and handicap winner, plus second and third get recorded with certificates - so it's all on!
Please bring a plate for the afternoon tea at the clubrooms after the races.
Be aware there may be no parking at the Pony Club paddocks due to wet ground, so parking will probably beon the road - take care as it is narrow in places.
Start times and grades
Boys and girls, U13 U11: 2km (2 x 1km lap)
Boys and girls, U19 U17 and U15: 3.6km (2 x 1.8km lap)
Boys and girls U9: 1km (2 x 500m lap)
Boys and Girls U7: 500m (1 x 500m lap)
Senior Men: 8km (4 x 1.8km lap)
Senior Women, Masters Men 35,50,60: 5.5km (3 x 1.8km lap)
Masters Women 35,50,60:: 5.5km (3 x 1.8km lap)
2017 details below
Road race and walk for registered masters athletes
- Road Race: 5 laps = 8 km – Start 11.00 am
- Race Walk: 4 laps = 6.4 km – Start 10.45 am
Start and finish: Is in Kipling Street. The roads are NOT closed to traffic.
- Prizes will be awarded to the first place runner in each age group plus additional prizes where warranted.
- Prizes for first two men and women in race walk plus additional prizes where warranted.
- Prizes for the first 3 Club teams (2 running teams and 1 walking team.)
- Running – Four to a team with at least one woman.
- Walking – Three to a team (mixed team).
- A number of Spot Prizes will be drawn on the day.
- Entry Fee: $15.00 Non-members: $20.00
- No late entry fee payable.
- Pre-Masters are welcome.
- Make cheque payable to Wellington Masters Athletics Inc. or Direct Credit to: Wellington Masters Athletics Inc., ANZ Bank, The Terrace: 06 0565 0064415 00
- Entry form also available on the Masters website at www.wellingtonmastersathletics.org.nz
Club run / walk from the clubrooms with packs for all ages and abilities. We have invited Wellington Scottish to join us. They are a big club so there should be plenty of people. Let's make them feel welcome and introduce them to our local trails.
Please bring a plate to share for afternoon tea.
Thinking of joining? Come along!
All ages, all abilities, all motivations. Join us!
Athletics Wellington Cross Country Championships.
Olympic are hosting this event, so we ask that all club members assist with setting out the course, marshalling, or support duties as their race times permit. This is our dress rehearsal for hosting the National Champs here in August.
Note that the draft version of the 2018 Athletics Wellington calendar indicated that this event would be on Sunday 15th. We have since changed this to the 14th, so we can compete on a Saturday like all other interclub events.
5km non-championship race and running out of grade
Senior and masters runners (M35, M50 and W35) who want to run the 12:30 5km non-championship race, and M60+ and W50+ runners who want to run the 2:30 10km non-championship race (aand anyone anyone else who wants to run out of grade) should email Daryl Bloomfield, firstname.lastname@example.org, and let him know before Saturday.
2018 Race times:
5km Masters Men 60
5km Masters Men 70
5km Masters Women 50
5km Masters Women 60
5km Masters Women 70
5km All other adult grades (non-championship)
3km Boys Under 15
3km Girls Under 15
4km Women Under 18
6km Men Under 18
6km Women Under 20
8km Men Under 20
1km Boys Under 9
1km Girls Under 9
2km Boys Under 11
2km Girls Under 11
2km Boys Under 13
2km Girls Under 13
10km Open Women
10km Open Men
10km Masters Men 35
10km Masters Men 50
10km Masters Women 35
10km All other adult grades (non-championship)
::[course maps (2.9MB)]::
Annual club mid-winter trip.
Races on Saturday, club dinner Saturday night, Sunday morning group runs. Not to be missed!
Registered & non Registered runners and walkers all welcome. A great family weekend event. The club has applied for grants to keep the costs down.
2018 race times
9:45am: Girls 10 and under (1km)
9:55am: Boys 10 and under (1km)
10:05am: Girls 12 and under (2km)
10:15am: Boys 12 and under (2km)
10:30am: Girls 14 and under (3km)
10:45am: Boys 14 and under (3km)
11:00am: Masters Men 35-49 (6km - 2 x 3km laps)
11:20am: Masters Women 35+ (5km - 3km lap + 2km lap)
11:45am: Masters Men 50+ (6km - 2 x 3km laps)
12:15pm: Women under 20, women under 18 (4km - 2 x 2km laps)
12:30pm: Men under 20, men under 18 (5km - 3km lap + 2km lap)
12:45pm: Senior Women (5km - 3km lap + 2km lap)
1:20pm: Senior Men (9km - 3 x 3km laps)
Trip details 2018
Olympic has booked some accommodation at the Camellia Court Motel, 50 Tonga St which is not far from Spa Park. There is a range of units from couples to families and groups of singles. If you have any queries regarding the accommodation at the Camellia Court please email Brian Rusbridge at email@example.com.
In terms of transport, there is a option of going up in vans organised by the club. Contact Brian.
The club dinner is on Saturday night at Dixie Browns. Please indicate your interest on when registering. This is self-funded, so all family and supporters are welcome to attend.
To go to the NIXC, please register here.
On this registration form as well as collecting information for your entry we also need to know if you wish to take up the following:
- Team accommodation
- Team Travel by van
- The Club Dinner
- If you are wanting to include your supporters in these, we need to know that too
Please note also that if you wish to be considered for selection in the Wellington team you must also complete the EOI form by the 9th June.
For those not in Taupo for the NIXC champs:
Club run / walk from the clubrooms with packs for all ages and abilities.