Events and races from the club syllabus, the Wellington region, and further afield
view future events view past events view all events
Athletics Wellington Road Championships, incorporating Olympic Harriers Club Road Championships.
The races are held in the Wainuiomata Recreation Area. Enter from Moores Valley Road and turn into Whitcher Grove which leads to Reservoir Road.
An out and back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. There is a hill on one side and a river on the other side. The course is largely sheltered from wind. There is a grassy area for club tents close to the start/finish area. Weather conditions are usually cool at this time of year. Please be advised that members of the public are free to walk through the area, they will be advised to stay on the path beside the road. In addition, emergency vehicles, Wellington Water, and the Ranger may need to drive up the road between races, or in the case of an emergency, during a race. Competitors must make way if this is the case.
Covid-19 - Orange
- Competitors and spectators are to stay at home if feeling unwell.
- Hygiene practices to be adhered to, washing of hands and use of hand sanitizer.
- Competitors advised that spitting is strongly discouraged.
The event is open to any athlete registered in the Athletes NZ ClubNet database as “Competitive” and “Active and Financial” as at 11.59pm on Thursday 18 August 2021. Registered athletes from other centres are welcome at this event. They will need to email Daryl, email@example.com by Thursday 18 August, 5:00pm. If you have already received a bib at the Vosseler, Dorne Cup or Cross Country Champs, you MUST use the same bib. Bibs will be available for collection at the Wainuiomata Harriers Truck for those people who have recently registered. Replacement bibs will be available to collect for those people who forget or have lost their bib. Allow plenty of time. Race Numbers must be worn on the front of club singlets.
Athletics Wellington clubs will be invoiced after the event for the competitors who finish: $12.00 for all competitors aged 20+, $7.50 for all competitors under 20. The entry fee for fully registered athletes from other centres will be $15 payable on the day when picking up their pre-registered temporary race bib from the Truck.
Championship Events for Masters and Seniors:
- 10km Championship distance: SW, MW35-49, SM, MM35-49, MM50-59.
- 5km Championship distance: MW50-59, MW60-69, MW70+, MM60-69 MM70+
Competitors Running out of Grade
Any Senior or Master runner who wishes to enter a distance other than their championship distance must email firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 18 August, 5:00pm. Please send the following details; Name, Club, Race Bib Number, Grade and Distance you are running, 5km or 10km. If you are a masters runner and wish to run in a “higher” championship grade (eg. a master wishing to enter the senior race, or a W50 wishing to enter the W35 10km race), please also let Daryl know this.
For all grades, except Masters, ages are at 31st December 2021. For Masters’ grades, ages are age on the day.
- U20 = 18 or 19 at end of this year.
- U18 = 16 or 17 at end of this year.
- U16 = 14 or 15 at end of this year.
- U14 = 12 or 13 at end of this year.
- U12 = 10 or 11 at end of this year.
- U10 = 9 or younger at year end.
Teams and Medals
Open and Masters championship grades: 6 to count for Open Men. 4 to count for all other grades. Masters can count for both their club’s Masters and Open teams. Junior Grades: 3 to count for all junior age grades, WU20 and WU18 to be combined.
Centre medals will be awarded for the first 3 registered Wellington Centre athletes in each grade. Season medals will be distributed to clubs at a later date. Medals will be given out as soon as provisional results become available. Note final results might not be available on the day of the event.
There is space for club tents at the start finish area. We ask that if your club is bringing a tent, that it be brought onto the course by 12:00pm.
There is parking either at the course, down by the clubrooms at Richard Prouse Park or at the end of Hine Road. Parking spaces are limited, especially if wet. Car-pooling is encouraged as is the use of the car-park at the end of Hine Road or at Richard Prouse Park if you are arriving late.
There may be a sausage sizzle depending on weather. Please bring cash for this. There will also be a coffee van ons ite.
There will be 4 portaloos at the entrance to the site. There are also toilets situated next to the clubrooms at Richard Prouse Park.
Race times and distances:
- Race 1: 12:30pm:
- Junior Men U20 (7.5km - 3 loops of 2.5km);
- MM60-64, 65-69, 70+; MW50-59, 60-64, 65-69 and 70+, WU20, WU18, MU18, men 20-59 non-championship, women 20-49 non-championship (5km - 2 loops of 2.5km)
- Race 2: 1:10pm : Girls U10, Boys U10 (1km - 1 loop of 1km)
- Race 3: 1:20pm: Girls U12, Boys U12 (2km - 2 loops of 1km)
- Race 4: 1:40pm: Girls U16, Boys U16 (3.5km - 1 loop of 1km and 1 loop of 2.5km)
- Race 5: 2:10pm: Girls U14, Boys U14 (2.5km - 1 loop of 2.5km)
- Race 6: 2:30pm: SM, SW, MM35-49 , MW35-39, MM50-59, W50+ non-champ, M60+ non-champ (10km - 4 laps of 2.5km)