Winter training (March to October 2017)
Olympic has built up a strong middle distance group of runners who run track in the summer and cross country and road in the winter. Great training for the school cross country season. Lots of fun training with others in a team environment with kids of all ages and abilities. We have training groups for everyone so don't worry if you're just starting out. Fantastic fitness training for your other summer and winter sports too.
Over the winter (terms 2 and 3) our trainings sessions are held as follows:
Mondays at Raroa Intermediate, 37 Haumia Street, Johnsonville (with John Cope)
- Primary and intermediate age from 3.20pm to 4.00pm
Mondays at Taneera Park, Brooklyn (with Nick Julian) - to be confirmed
- Primary and intermediate age from 4.30pm to 5.30pm
Tuesdays at Alex Moore Park, Johnsonville (with Chris Speakman)
- Seniors and masters from 6:30 to 7:15 (during daylight saving) and 6pm to 7pm after daylight saving finishes. Meet at the clubrooms.
Tuesdays at Grenada North Park (with Juan McDonald)
- Primary and intermediate age from 4.20pm to 5.00pm – meet at carpark area
Wednesdays at Raroa Intermediate School, 37 Haumia Street, Johnsonville (with John Cope and Sean McCrudden)
- Primary, intermediate and college age from 3.20pm to 4pm
Thursdays at Grenada North Park, Tawa (with Juan McDonald)
- All ages meet at the carpark at Grenada North Park off Nassau Street, Grenada North, Tawa, from 4.20pm to 5pm.
Thursdays at Olympic Clubrooms, Alex Moor Park, Johnsonville (with Mark Anderson)
- The sessions run from 4:15pm to 5:15pm from 30 March 2017 and will provide you with balanced, effective training to help improve your running and get you performing at your best in the winter races. They will also set you up well for the next summer season. For members and non-members aged 12-19.
Saturdays at Olympic Clubrooms, Alex Moore Park, Johnsonville
- All ages meet at the clubrooms at 1.45pm on our club days (adults and children) for pack runs and fun activities for the kids. Juan McDonald will be at the clubrooms to take activities for the juniors. It's always good to have a few parents helping out here too. Steve Walker has offered to take college age athletes on pack runs on Saturday afternoons.
- The Saturday club days are only on when there is no race (check the calendar).
Sunday pack runs
- For the second year we have scheduled some club pack runs in our club calendar, usually on the Sundays after races. We will meet at the clubrooms at Alex Moore Park (or other venues around the region) at 9am. All ages welcome. Check the calendar for details.
TRAINING COSTS INCLUDED WITH MEMBERSHIP except where specified.
Pre-season training for summer track and field
Amanda Goldsmith pre season athletics trainings will be held at Raroa Intermediate from July. There is a cost for this training:
- $30 per person for members
- $60 per person for those who are not Olympic club members
You need to sign up and pay to attend these trainings and contact Vivian Yu (email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 021 113 4128) when you have done this. This is important so Vivian can contact you if there are any changes on any of the days. Vivian will then also text people if trainings are cancelled for any reason.
Monday at Raroa Intermediate
4.00pm to 5.00pm: High Jump all ages in the Raroa Intermediate Hall
Wednesday and Thursday at Raroa Intermediate
(Field or turf depending on ground conditions).
4.00pm to 5.00pm/5.30pm: Block starts - speed endurance - hurdles - strength training
Gym training for intermediate/college athletes at Revolve Gym in Tawa is from 12 noon to 4.30pm. There are 3 different sessions and it has to be booked prior to attending a session. The gym cost is $5 per session payable on the day. These sessions are full but contact Vivian Yu (email email@example.com or phone 021 113 4128) if you are 12 years old plus as she may be able to slot in another session.
For more information please contact our coaching coordinator Jo Murray.
Last updated: 7 Aug 2017